2/09/2014

It's Radical, I know.


Did you read about Paint the Mirrors?

Ok you’re hesitant.  I get it.  Perhaps you’re like me and are thinking these things:

How do I know if I should do this challenge?


No one is forcing you to do this.  But an invitation is waiting for your response.  This may be the right thing and the right time for you to do, and it may not.  Either way, it is going to look scary and you will have doubts.  But if you are considering it, underneath those doubts you will feel an excitement thinking about the possibility of the things you will discover along this 40-day journey.  Search within yourself and see where your appearance falls on the scale of things you place your identity in.  Depending on where it lands, this challenge may be very difficult, but it will also be very, very rewarding. 

You can read my story to see why I chose to do it. 

I want to look presentable so I don’t scare people away.  How do I do that without a mirror?


It is perfectly good, and even encouraged, to dress up during this challenge.  The absence of a mirror is

not a prerequisite for laziness.  This challenge is instead, meant for you to realize how much you rely on a mirror for personal affirmation after getting ready.  We are trying to set aside this second part, (personal and outer affirmation), so we can instead focus on what truly makes you beautiful: your inner beauty.

Sure, so the practices of makeup application and curling your hair aren’t the easiest to accomplish without a mirror.  You may find then that this challenge helps you simplify your appearance as well.  Maybe instead of putting on dark shades of mascara, you opt for more of a natural look.  Or instead of curling or straightening your hair everyday, you decide to leave it wavy or straight.  You may not look the exact same as you did with a mirror, but the important parts that make you who you are will still be the same, guaranteed. I will also post some videos and tips for makeup application to get you started.   

40 days is a long time.  Why does it have to be for that long?

I chose 40 days because, as a Catholic, I celebrate the Season of Lent—a time of preparation for when Jesus rises from the dead on Easter.  During this time, we are called to look more closely at the things that keep us attached to this world, and the things in which we place our identity.  Lent is a time of fasting from these things for a time, so we can refocus our gaze on what’s really important: the man who died for our sins just to show us how much He really loves US (not our appearance).

Then, on Easter Sunday, you will get to wake up and look in the mirror for the first time in 40 days and see the beautiful person that your Lord who died—and now has risen!—for sees.

And when you’re feeling discouraged, remember Kjerstin Gruys.  Who did it for A WHOLE YEAR, and even on her wedding day! 

I’m doing this as part of the season of Lent.  I have heard that Sundays technically are not included in the Lenten season.  Can I look in the mirror on Sundays?

That is up to your personal transgression.  According to the “21-day” rule: it takes around 21 days for your brain to kick a habit.  40 days is just the extra jump to attain your personal goal.  Think of the joy you’ll feel on Easter when you get to see yourself in your Sunday best for the first time.  Personally, I say go all the way.  

Looking in the mirror actually helps my self-esteem, not hurts it.  How does this challenge relate to me?


The point of the challenge is not only to minimize self-criticism, but also to refocus any and all self-awareness from your outer appearance to your inner being and your resulting actions.  So even if you look in the mirror and think, “Danngg. I look good!”  This challenge is just as perfect for you. 

What if I accidentally look in a mirror and see myself during the challenge?

Oops!  Don’t worry, it happens to the best of us.  Remember your initial desire and your goal, and move forward.